Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall (Liberty Square) Overview
|Hours||Memorial Hall: 9 AM–6 PM (every day)|
|Memorial Park: 5 AM–12 AM (every day)|
|Address||100, Taipei City, Zhongzheng District|
|Chinese Name||CKS: 中正紀念堂|
|Liberty Square: 自由廣場|
|Date Opened||April 5, 1980|
|Free Wi-Fi Network||CKSMH Free WiFi|
Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall in Taiwan is a monument, built in memory of former leader of the Kuomintang (KMT), Chiang Kai-shek. It showcases the history and culture of Taiwan. History enthusiasts, architecture lovers, and travelers seeking cultural immersion should consider visiting.
The square’s official name is Liberty Square due to Chiang Kai-shek’s controversial history. However, most folks will still call it Chiang Kai-shek (CKS) Memorial Hall.
How to get to Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall
The easiest way to get to Liberty Square is to take the Taipei subway Green or Red lines to Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall Station. Leave the station through Exit 5 and you’ll find yourself outside the National Theater—within the Memorial Hall Square.
Signage is clear and in English. You’ll have no trouble navigating.
You could rent a car and drive here. Then park in the parking garage.
Or you could rent a YouBike. It’s Taiwan’s bicycle rental system that doesn’t cost much. However, there aren’t any YouBike docking stations nearby the MRT station.
What to do in Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall
Here’s what I recommend doing in Liberty Square:
- Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Park: Diverse ecosystem & a great place to walk around.
- National Concert Hall: See whether there’s a concert happening.
- National Theater: Check out whether it’s hosting live performances.
- View the cherry blossoms: CKS has a mixture of Japanese-style & Taiwanese-style cherry blossoms.
- Their flowering period begins around the first half of February.
- Exhibitions: Artists & organizations will often host exhibitions in the plaza or inside the buildings.
- Gift shop: Find Liberty Square souvenirs & spend money to your heart’s content.
- I don’t recommend any specific souvenirs.
The changing of the guard and lowering/raising of the flag occur at these times—
Go inside the Memorial Hall at these times and watch the honor guards change every hour between 9 AM and 5 PM. For instance, they’ll change at 9 AM, 10 AM, etc.
Guards will change the flag in the middle of the plaza at these times:
|Lowering or Raising||Summer Times (4/1–9/30)||Winter Times (10/1–3/31)|
|Raising||6 AM||6:10 PM|
|Lowering||6: 30 AM||5: 10 PM|
Pay attention to the dates in the table. As the times the guards will lower and raise the flag will differ by season.
Book a Walking Tour Today