Considering visiting Central Taiwan?
Explore Fengjia Night Market (逢甲夜市 or Féngjiǎ Yè Shì) in Taichung City.
It’s a hotspot for young people and has more food than you can handle.
Read through this guide on Taichung’s most famous market and you’ll find information surrounding:
- History of Fengjia
- What types of foods you should try
- Other things you can do in the area
- How to reach this night market
|Hours||Every day 6 PM to 12 AM|
|Number of Stalls||200 stalls|
Fengjia Night Market address: Wenhua Rd, Xitun District, Taichung City, Taiwan 407
General Information and History #
Fengjia, otherwise known as Feng Chia, Night Market came to life in 1963 alongside Fengjia University to meet the needs of nearby military residents.
Once 2006 arrived, a committee of Fengjia Shopping Town ((逢甲購物商城) was established. This covered Fengjia Night Market along with Bento street and bought it under the Taichung City Government’s ordinance.
From there, the committee improved the night market’s management, sustainable practices, and friendliness toward foreigners.
Now it’s a night market experience in Taichung City that’s packed with street food stalls, shops, and visitors.
What’s Nearby? #
Taichung may not offer the most condensed tourist activities.
By Fengjia, you’ll mostly find hotels, other restaurants, and Feng Chia University.
If you’re exploring Taichung during the day, this night market is only a 32 minute walk, or 9 minute drive, from popular attractions like the National Taichung Theater.
When around the theater, you can visit karaoke television (KTV) places, shopping centers, and one of many parks.
For fans of IKEA, the Sweden-based furniture retailer is only a 6-minute drive from the city’s famous theater. This may not seem like an ideal tourist hotspot, but you should visit. While there, try the food, relax on a display chair, and enjoy the air conditioning.
If you’re having trouble finding things to do in Taichung, I put together enough activities to keep you entertained for a couple days.
What Foods Should You Try at Fengjia? #
How does Fengjia Tourist Night Market live up to its reputation? To test everyone’s claims, you’ll want to try these foods from particular vendors:
- Sausages at Da Chang Bao Xiao Chang: this place serves sausages housed in a glutinous rice bun; they’ll also stuff these buns with garlic and pickled vegetables
- Egg pancakes from Ming Lun Dan Bing (明倫蛋餅): this store has been selling egg crepes (or pancakes) for over 40 years, so they’ve perfected their craft
- Stinky Tofu from Yi Xin (心臭豆腐): they sell fried stinky tofu, which means you can try the famous Taiwanese food without having to smell the fermentation
- Sweet potato balls from Feng Chia (逢甲溫家地瓜球): while you can find deep-fried potato balls anywhere in the country, Feng Chia’s offer a chewy texture
- Stewed pork at Dafeng: they will simmer the pork until the meat melts in your mouth
How To Get To Fengjia Night Market #
To get to Feng Chia, taking Taiwan’s YouBike rental bikes would be your cheapest option. Be sure that you have an EasyCard or other smart card option to use for paying for your bike rental.
You can rent a motorbike, take a taxi, or order an Uber.
Otherwise, if you prefer to take the bus, you can take buses 33, 35, or 37 to Fengjia University, which is near the market.
Don’t Forget to Explore Fengjia While in Taichung
Fengjia Night Market offers a unique experience for you who are visiting Taichung.
It’s not difficult to reach. Nor do the vendors charge an arm and a leg for their food.