If you’re searching for a way to manage your mail while abroad, fortunately, you don’t have to look any further.
A virtual mailbox service enables anyone to manage their mail from anywhere around the globe. This is due to forwarding your mail to an address that the company provides.
After reading this guide, you’ll understand the basics of a virtual mailbox service. Moreover, you’ll learn a bit about how they work, typical services, and more.
What Is a Virtual Address Service?
A virtual address service enables you to have a physical mailing address at a facility that’ll receive your mail. Once the service receives your mail, you can manage it online and decide how to deal with it.
Most virtual address service providers offer various mail-related services to make your life easier.
They’re fantastic services for managing mail remotely and keeping your home address private. Also, business owners can use them as business addresses.
What Is the Difference Between a Registered Agent and Virtual Mail Service?
A registered agent represents a corporation or an LLC, whereas a virtual mail service receives and forwards mail. You can only use a registered agent to receive official government mail by law. However, you can receive personal and business mailing items.
Keep in mind that most virtual mail services include registered agents.
How Do Virtual Mailing Services Work?
The following are the ways a virtual mailing service works:
- You need to fill out form 1583 to allow the virtual mailbox provider to accept your mail and then follow the steps to forward your mail to your virtual address.
- When entities send mail to you, your mail will go to the virtual address provider’s facility or one of their Commercial Mail Receiving Agencies (CRMA).
- The CRMA or facility will scan your mailing item—a package, document, or letter—and notify you of your received mail.
- You choose whether you want them to open the mail and scan it with remote mail services contents, recycle or shred your mail, or forward your mailing item.
Once they scan your mailing item, they’ll store it on their cloud-based solutions. From there, you can view and organize your digitized mail.
Also, you can store your mailing items for a set duration if you don’t want to forward your mail yet.
List of Typical Services You’ll Receive With Virtual Mailboxes
When browsing the landing page of a virtual mailing service, you’ll often find a wall of text stating the perks you’ll get when subscribing.
I’ve compiled their most important features to give you an idea of what you’re getting whenever you get a remote mailbox plan.
- Remote mail management: digitize your mail and store them online for ease of access and organization
- Secure shredding: will shred and recycle documents in a manner where thieves can’t piece together your personal information based on mail
- Registered agent: receives legal and other vital documents on your behalf
- Mail forwarding: after receiving mail items, they’ll forward them to you per your request
- Business or personal address: voids the downsides of using a PO box and gives you the perks of having an address
Could You See Yourself Using This Service 5 Years From Now?
Virtual address services aren’t the most complex services. However, they offer many services at a reasonable price. Moreover, they provide a solution that’ll help secure your mail and allow you to manage your mail from anywhere.